Thursday 3 February 2011

Simply Scary...the first tutorial!


Hi Simply Sassy fans! I'm so excited and a little nervous today as I give the first tutorial on our Simply Sassy inspiration blog, you can probably hear my knees knocking together! It is also my first tutorial ever so if it is in any way unclear, please let me know in your comments!






Today I want to share with you how to make this fold-up box with matching wrap. Okay, the story behind this creation: my friend Monique is so good at coming up with new, exciting templates and, well, I needed something really special to show you so I was very happy when she offered to let me use her latest brainwave for this tutorial! Without any further ado and with huge thanks to her, here goes:



This is what I used to make the project, apologies for the picture quality but my craft desk is right underneath the window...usually that's handy ;o)


* Bazzill Basics Cardstock white
* Maja Design "Fika" paper
* Simply Sassy Call Me stamp available from Funky Kits
* Papertrey Ink sentiment stamp; Dark Chocolate ink
* Nellie's Multi Frames nr MFD020
* EK Success Retro Flower punches medium, small
* Kars adhesive pearls
* Twine and a charm
* Copic markers E00, E51, E93, E21 (skin, cheeks, lips); E50, E51, E53, Y28 (hair); YG63 (eyes); YG63, BV00, BV08 (clothes); C1, C3, C5 (shading)


Right, have you got all that? Then let's get started :D!




Edit: I don't know why you can't click on this pic. so I've added a Tutorial template page (MT)


 Here's the pattern I used (please click on it to get a larger image), I've done my best to convert the centimeters into inches but it might be a little off here and there. Cut your cardstock to 26 x 18 cm or 10.2 x 7.1" and cut and score as indicated. Fold along the scorelines, and when you're done it should look something like this (double-sided tape has already been added in this photograph)




Then start decorating the panels with design paper, I cut mine at 0,5 cm / 0.2" smaller. You can decorate the outside of the box and even the triangles in the middle there, I did not because I thought it would become too bulky (and I'm lazy...). I put the glue tabs on the inside of the box where they'll be covered with design paper.


After you've decorated the box and put it together it is time to make the wrap. Cut the cardstock to 27,5 x 8 cm or 10.8 x 3.1" and wrap it loosely around the folded up box, then score (I scored mine at 8,5 and 19 cm / 3.3 and 7.5"). Now decorate it to your heart's content!

When you're done decorating add some glue or double-sided tape to the end of the cardstock strip and stick the ends together so it can wrap around the box, not too tightly but also not too loose. Put tea bags, money or even a phone card in the box and you have the nicest gift wrap ever :D! The finished size is 12,5 x 11 cm or 4.9 x 4.3" (the way I decorate mine anyway) so it can easily be sent in the mail!



 Hope you have lots of fun trying this out, I can't wait to see what you're going to make of it!
And please add a link here if you make one so we can come have a look :)
Hugs,
Erica

12 comments:

  1. Wow! Erica, Love the finished box, it's absolutely gorgeous but the click link doesn't work to make the template bigger so I cant see the measurements, but I'd love to make one.
    Hugs
    Suzi x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Suzi.. trying to figure out why..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have printed off my template Maria and I am now off to try one myself, will let you know how I get on !!!

    Your card is adorable and the colours bag on trend, hugs, sandiblu xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Erica!! What a brilliant first tutorial Hun! This is absolutely stunning, luv the way you've decorated it and your colouring is just ACE!! Off to print out the template and try one for myself. Thanks for sharing. Lotsa luv, hugs xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful box - everything about it is just perfect but not sure I am capable of doing this - och maybe I will try one day soon! Loving this blog, Sheila:)X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning tutorial, will have a go and I just love the "call me" stamp :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for a great tutorial. The box is beautiful.
    Sinikka :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute! Thanks for converting to inches...I always have such a difficult time when things are in cm, because I am not used to working with that. I appreciate your thoughtfulness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these colours & the wrap part is a wonder with the image. I shall give this a go when I've got a nice clear day & can have a good play. My stamps from the blog hop arrived today so thank you to everyone involved in that.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  10. fab tutorial erica and the finished result is stunning.
    i really need a scoreboard now :D

    xx coops xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Erica this is amazing and I love the design I am soooo going to have to make one of these, what a perfect little gift box!

    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete